Purpose of man-made canals are to shorten the journey of ships on their go round routes. Some of great examples for man-made canals are Panama canal(South America), The Suez the great (Red Sea), The White Sea-Baltic Sea (Northern Europa) and Volga-Don Canal (Soviet). Those engineering wonders offer easier or alternative sailing routes across major water transportation worldwide for the movements of cargo or passengers in much more efficient ways.
Let’s see some highlights of the Canal
- Some ancient Greek rulers imagine to build a canal in the same way and some of them started to dig. It was earlier as 7th century BC. The project was abandoned.
- Modern Canal was planed in 1830 and postponed again as the cost.
- Finally the modern canal was started to built in 1882 and ended in 1893.
- It is connecting the Gulf of Corinth with the Saronic Gulf in Greece. It is a short cut for some routes in Mediterranean Sea.
- This single lane canal is just 8 meters (26 ft) deep, excavated at sea level (thus requiring no locks), measuring 6,343 metres (20,810 ft) long by 24.6 metres (81 ft) wide at sea level and 21.3 metres (70 ft) wide at the bottom. The rock walls, which rise 90 metres (300 ft) above sea level, are at a near-vertical 80° angle. The canal is crossed by a railway line, a road and a motorway at a height of about 45 metres (148 ft).
- Although the canal saves the 700-kilometre (430 mi) journey around the Peloponnese.
- But this canal is narrow for modern ocean freighters, as it can accommodate ships only of a width up to 17.6 metres (58 ft) and draft up to 7.3 metres (24 ft).
- Currently this canal is popular with touristic pass through and around 11,000 ships passes this annually.
- Authorities are looking for develop the canal for big ships. But it is always depend on varies natural parameters.
- WORLD RECORD: In October 2019, with over 900 passengers on board, a 22.5 metres (74 ft) wide and 195 meters (640 ft) long, Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines cruise ship successfully traversed the canal to set a new record for longest ship to pass through the canal.
- Canal is usually a single way at single pass through. Big cruisers should get the assistance of Tug boats.
Thanks for spare few minutes to read my article and I invite you to visit my site daily basis. Like me on Facebook, subscribe me on YouTube. Links in bottom of the page. Share your thoughts with me on below comment section or social media channels.
Article Image Credit: Yacht Charter fleet
All Images are owned by their respective original authors. Entire Article copyrighted by www.anuradhabernard.com