What is the name of the Halloween Pumpkin Lantern? What is the meaning of Halloween Pumpkin?
We just celebrated the one of most exciting Autumn Event. Many people may get yearly questions. “What is the name of Halloween Lantern?” “What is the meaning of Pumpkin Halloween Lantern?” So I decide to simply debunk the burning questions of Halloween Pumpkin Lanterns.
Halloween Lantern is just a crafted scary face on a big orange pumpkin with a light source inside. The source might be an electric lamp, candle or coal lamp. It is so popular at Halloween celebrations around the world. It is the iconic Halloween decoration that wouldn’t miss.
1) Jack-o’-Lantern (Jack o Lantern) – That’s the name of the Lantern. It is from a common belief from a Celtic Irish folk story. According to the story, there is the soul of a dead man named Jack, the devil, and a lit turnip with which the soul of Jack aimlessly wanders the Earth. It has many versions. But Jack and his lamp was a common fact.
2) The tradition was originated in 17th Century Britain. – Tradition and the name was originated in Britain. At that time, Jack was a common name that people get used to referring to an unknown man. For example, if a newcomer appears in the village railway station, people might ask each other, “Who is that jack?”. If an unknown man carrying a lamp, people often said, look at Jack and the lantern. So a mysterious lamp is always Jack and the lantern. In the 19th century, this lantern was so popular in the USA with the influence of the British Halloween celebration.
3) Why Pumpkin? – There is no clear idea of the reason behind using particularly Pumpkin. In old Celtic culture, they may use some sort of vegetable and even it doesn’t explain the speciality of Pumpkin. So, let me explain my own view of it. Pumpkin is a big, orange coloured, cheap and widely available vegetable. It isn’t going bad easily after cut off. And it is easy to craft. So, it is an easy guess to make a scary lantern when there were no paper or polythene to make fancy lanterns. Especially, the orange colour of the pumpkin may so helpful to glow in dark. And it is obvious the involvement of vegetables as it is the harvest time.
4) Christians used this pumpkin lantern – Many Christians and Catholics reject this Jack-o’-Lantern as a devil thing. But the Catholics and Christians have used this lantern in the 19th century. There is something related to the devil as I explained in point 1. But, there is no record that explains this lantern as devil worship. Even Celtic people used this lantern to scare away ghosts. So, I think it is pretty okay to use it even in the Christian way of Halloween.
Let’s have a look at my latest video about Christians vs Halloween
5) The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze – New York does have a unique tradition of The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze which is the tristate area’s coolest Halloween event with more than 7,000 glowing pumpkins. This is happening in Hudson valley each year. New York is the Hub for Halloween celebrations in the world. New York does have all year Halloween shops too. (picture below).